Appearances in Other MediaEdit
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Genius Intellect - When Gin was younger, he was hailed as a child genius. He was highly proficient in his classes at the Shinigami Academy and he graduated in one year. His skill was already evident at a young age when he gained a seated position in the Fifth Squad shortly after graduating, ultimately surpassing the previous child prodigy Kaien Shiba who was already an adult and had taken five years to become a seated officer. Gin has shown himself to be highly manipulative and deceptive even when it's evident. He comes out unscathed due to the calm confusion he plays at, which is a testament to his overall strategy. In his battle with Hitsugaya, Gin was able to manipulate the positions of three people so Hitsugaya would have to choose between saving his own life or Hinamori's without any visible effort. He has shown capable of simple deception by having his opponent focus on one thing to hide the true threat.
- Master Swordsman - Gin is a highly proficient combatant. In combat, he doesn't seem the least bit taken back by the abilities of his opponent, even when they seemingly have an advantage. He fights with seemingly no effort behind his attacks. His ability to wield his combat skills was evident even when he was a child. He easily defeated and killed the former third seat of the Fifth Squad, who by rank and age should have been more powerful and skilled than him. He is commonly seen using his Zanpakutō's special ability, allowing him to be quite deadly at a distance, which is capable of killing multiple targets in one shot. He has shown the ability to use extreme speed mixed with a calm composure and precise attacks. His masterful skill in swordplay is quite unique as to when he got the upper hand against Toshiro Hitsugaya, a master swordsman and genius prodigy, as well as Ichigo Kurosaki when the latter was using his bankai, Tensa Zangetsu and Sixth Squad lieutenant, Renji Abarai on two seperate occassions when the latter was using both Shikai and Bankai.
- Shunpo Expert - After his battle with Toshiro Hitsugaya, Gin uses Shunpo to escape. Later, he shows great skill in this ability is when he can be even with Ichigo's bankai-enhanced speed.
- Kido Practitioner
- Enhanced Durability - Gin's durability is strong enough to withstand a direct hit from Ichigo Kurosaki's Bankai-enhanced Getsuga Tensho, only suffering a light wound to his forehead as a result.
- Great Spiritual Power
Shinso (God Spear) - It looks like an ordinary wakizashi. The hilt is light-blue with a tsuba made of two slim swirls of metal looping around the blade to make an open oval, resembling an "S". Originally, Gin kept his Zanpakutō on his left hip, but now wears it on his back hip.
- Shikai - The release command is "Shoot to Kill".
Shikai Special Ability - In its Shikai, Shinsō's blade glows white and extends at high speed to impale Gin's opponents from a distance. The blade also carries tremendous force when extending, as seen when Gin pushes both Ichigo Kurosaki and the giant Jidanbo out from under the Seireitei gate, despite the latter being firmly braced under it. In addition, Gin can maintain the extension and swing the activated Shinso in wide arcs, attacking multiple targets quickly and simultaneously. Shinsō is capable of reaching a maximum length equivalent to one hundred times its original length, earning it the nickname Hyapponzashi (One-Hundred Swords) when Gin was younger.
- Yarisazame (Spear Rain) - Activated with the command Rain, Gin performs Yarisazame by extending Shinsō into the air, causing swords to rain down on his opponent. Gin has also shown an underground method to this technique as well. By stabbing the ground, Gin can form several blades to stab from the ground, surrounding an opponent as they are cut at all angles.
- Yudokuke (Posionous Touch) - Gin explains that the poison of his Zanpakuto isn't just for his Bankai, but exists in Shikai as well. He explains that when cuts are made by Shinsō, this poison is released into the foe's blood stream. Then, with the command "Pierce", the poison is activated and begins shutting down the nervous system of his target until they finally die as a result of the poisoning.
- Bankai: Kamishini no Yari (God-Killing Spear) - In its Bankai state, Gin's Zanpakuto does not change in appearance at all, retaining its small wakizashi form. However, as Kamishini no Yari, the blade is capable of reaching lengths equivalent to 13 kilometers (roughly 8.1 miles) at 500 times the speed of sound. The blade can also retract to its normal size at the same rate.
Bankai Special Ability - Gin's Bankai essentially possesses the exact same abilities as his Shikai, but its power, length and speed are vastly amplified. The blade's tremendous cutting power is significantly increased, to the point where Gin is capable of swiftly cutting an entire town in half with a single stroke while standing a great distance away.
- Korose, Kamishini no Yari (Kill, God-Killing Spear) - Kamishini no Yari's true ability as well as its deadliest aspect is not based on its length or speed but rather its ability to turn into dust for just a second when it expands out and contracts. There is a deadly poison inside the blade that dissolves and breaks down cells. He can leave a sliver of his Zanpakuto in an opponent when he retracts Kamishini no Yari allowing him to kill an opponent at any time when he chooses to utter the release command "Kill, Kamishini no Yari" for the technique while placing his hand up to the target. The result causes the target to completely break down and dissolve at the cellular level from the inside out.
- Hypersonic Blade Extension and Contraction - The deadliest aspect of Kamishini no Yari is not within its destructive potential, great length, or wide sweeping range, but rather within the speed with which it can extend and contract its blade. Gin's Bankai can achieve its full length at 500 times the speed of sound: exactly 171,500 meters per second in order to arrive at its full length of 13km in under 0.08 seconds, which makes Kamishini no Yari not the longest Zanpakuto, but the fastest. Because the blade's extension and contraction speed is his Bankai's greatest ability, Gin tends to downplay its speed whenever he talks about his Zanpakuto, and instead focuses on the length and range of the blade in order to gain a psychological advantage over his opponent.
- Buto (Dance (Step)) - By adopting a stance where he firmly grips Kamishini no Yari with both hands and places the Zanpakutō's hilt squarely to the center of his chest, Gin is able to unleash the tremendous extension and contraction properties of his Bankai to an even more terrifying extent than its normal state. This occurs in the form of a piercing maneuver where the extension and contraction of the blade becomes almost completely-unseen to even the most-diligent of observers.
- Buto: Renjin (Dance (Step) Serial Blade) - This ability repeats the action of extending and subsequently contracting Kamishini no Yari, as observed within the technique Butō, multiple times in rapid succession. The entirety of this process is completed in a mere moment, resulting in the individual steps involved in this technique becoming virtually indistinguishable from each other, generating an apparent mass of numerous blades that leaves little opportunity for the intended victim to evade successfully.
- Reiatsu Concealing Cloak
List of Moves and TechniquesEdit
- Buto: Renjin
- Kamishini no Yari
- Korose, Kamishini no Yari
- Shinso Massacre
- Shinso Rush
- Sword Rain
- Ichigo Kurosaki
- Rukia Kuchiki
- Renji Abarai
- Uryu Ishida
- Yasutora Sado
- Orihime Inoue
- Karin Kurosaki
- Izuru Kira
- Momo Hinamori
- Byakuya Kuchiki
- Toshiro Hitsugaya
- Rangiku Matsumoto (Love interest)
- Ganju Shiba
- Hanataro Yamada
- Yoruichi Shihorin
- Shinji Hirako and The Visored
- Aren't you scared of me?